5 Reasons to Maintain Your Home’s Gutters This Summer
Summer is a wonderful time of the year – families get out and about and travel to new places, community pools are packed, outdoor activities are in full swing, and vacationers around the U.S have a well-deserved reprieve from work and school. Because of its inherently dry conditions, summertime is not seen as a critical month to take care of your home’s gutters. This is a common misconception that isn’t true.
Here are 5 reasons why it’s a good idea to maintain your gutters this summer.
- Remove Nests – Here’s a fact of homeownership: birds love to use gutters as a place to build their nests. While birdwatching can be a fun activity for the whole family to enjoy, it’s important that you remove bird nests from your gutters. Nests can create blockages in your gutter system, causing water to back up after a strong summer shower. By the time summer hits, most birds have fledged, giving you the chance to knock down their nests. Use this time to scope out bee nests as well; just make sure you’re cautious when doing this and bring some wasp spray with you just in case.
- Summer Storms – As you probably already know, summer showers can pop up at a moment’s notice, despite what your Weather Channel app might tell you about precipitation chances. If your gutters are clogged with leaves from the fall, be sure to unclog them so your gutter system works properly. When water has no place to go, it can cause damage to your home, resulting in costly repair fees.
- Cracks and Seams – The summer months are great for a lot of home maintenance since you won’t have to worry about winter temps, snow, and sleet. Warmer months mean you can throw on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to quickly check your gutters. When you’re doing this, be sure to keep an eye out for cracks and seams that may have formed during the winter. Patch any cracks and seams you might spot with a good waterproof sealant, or else water may leak from your gutters into your home.
- New Equipment – Since summertime is sort of like off-season for your gutters, it’s a great time to perform some long-term maintenance. If your gutter system is in bad shape, use a part of your summer vacation to replace it. Doing this can save you a bunch of money and headaches come when fall and winter roll around. Remember, if you’re replacing your entire gutter system it might be a good idea to consult with a professional gutter replacement company.
- Summer Cleaning – Now that you’ve removed the debris from your gutters, why not give them a summertime cleaning? Grab a good brush and some non-abrasive soap, and get to scrubbing off moss, algae, and mold from your gutters. While you’re doing this, keep an eye out for signs of gutter damage, like the cracks and seams that we mentioned earlier.
You Focus on Summer Fun While We Focus on Maintaining Your Gutters
Summer is a time for recreation and fun, which is why a lot of folks just don’t want to take the time to check on their gutters. Trust us, we get it! If you’d rather be swimming in the ocean than up on a ladder cleaning out your gutters, Storm Guard Roofing and Construction of Pacific MO has got your back! With a certified, experienced team of professionals on your side, you can enjoy summer and have peace of mind knowing your gutters are in great shape. If we find any damage, we’re more than happy to correct those issues for you, so you can get back to spending time with your family this summer. Give us a shout today to learn more!